Food and nutrients play a vital role in optimizing bone health, no matter what your age.
The following nutrients and foods on a regular basis will help ensure you have strong, healthy bones: Calcium is essential for bone health; it helps to keep them strong
- Vitamin D works with calcium to promote bone mineralization
- Caffeine intake: limit to less than 300 mg/day
- Alcohol reduces the body’s ability to form new bone and lowers bone calcium levels
- Salt consumed in excess may result in increased loss of bone calcium
- Animal protein when consumed in excess may result in calcium being taken from our bones and used as a buffer against the acid which is formed as a result of its metabolisation
- Weight bearing and resistance exercise is proven to help bones stay strong
- Fruit and vegetables contain nutrients essential for bone health, such as vitamin K, C, magnesium and potassium.