By Dr Irwin Lim, Rheumatologist
Australia is a rich country by world standards with a very good health system. It would surprise experts in the field to find that the largest city in the land, Sydney, was without a specialised centre tending to the needs of patients with spondyloarthritis.
While Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is the headline disease, the clinic's activities encompass all spondyloarthritis (SpA) including:
- Axial SpA
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Reactive Arthritis
- IBD-related arthritis
Why did we bother?
- There is a need to increase awareness of AS, SpA & related disease given that the diagnosis & management is on the whole, poor
- Highly effective therapy now exists, requiring rheumatologists to step to the forefront
- There is an emerging focus on earlier diagnosis and treatment, and an aim for this to happen before irreversible damage appears on X-rays
- There is an opportunity for BJC Health to be involved at the forefront of changing disease management paradigms
- There was an absence of such a service in Sydney, a void that BJC Health could and should fill given our position as a unique, integrated rheumatology service
- We have the expertise of interested, compassionate rheumatologists
- We have physiotherapists with specialised knowledge & experience in SpA
This stuff is not rocket science. It takes time and energy, expertise we already have, and a genuine interest to provide a world class service.
The Sydney Spondyloarthritis Centre makes a difference.
Please do contact us if you need more information to help you or someone you know.