One of my better ideas a few weeks ago, was to invite some of our regular clients to write up on our gym mirror what their health and fitness highlights were for the year. I often like to look back at my year in terms of highlights and lowlights, so thought I'd invite my clients to share in the process. Through this reflection, I also hoped I might get some ideas as to how we can continue to help our clients live and feel better in 2018.What I thought might be a couple of people throwing up a few ideas begrudgingly, has turned out to be a mirror packed with awesomeness! Achievements that are different, funny, fabulous, small, large and everything in between.
I have been inspired and humbled by what has been written. I can't express how great it has been for our team to be reminded of all the different reasons people might come to seek our help.
A number of our clients have
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Low Back Pain
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Ankylosing Spondilytis
among various other aches and pains. Not all of them actually want to exercise and have found at times the motivation to just keep showing up to be a challenge. Before reading what some of them have achieved, its important to realise that a few of these people started the year unable to move around much at all. Some were in significant amounts of pain, and a number have never exercised before. Many of our clients start without a lot of confidence.
I will share a picture of the mirror on our facebook page at some stage, but thought I'd share with you some of the health highlights our clients have shared with us for their 2017.
- Exercising 3 x per week minimum for 50 consecutive weeks
- Being able to walk 15km +/day on a recent trip to Italy
- Being able to get in and out of helicopters during an overseas trip
- No aches and pains
- Able to get in and out of the bath safely
- Increased bone density and able to lift 40kg
- Reduced amount of medication needed
- Losing 10kg and feeling the best he has in his whole life (at 70!)
- Learnt how to do a full squat for the first time in my life
- More flexibility..able to put shoes on comfortably.
- Completing things like half marathons, trail marathons and long distance kayaking events.
- Getting up early and exercising at 6:30am.
- Able to hold grandchildren and not get too tired
This wall has helped me remember how precious good health is. I hope you were able to achieve some positive health changes this year, and if not...a great time to prep for the year ahead. Feel free to share your highlights with us below!
Looking forward to sharing more of the good stuff in 2018 :) Thanks for your support this year and wishing you and your loved ones a happy and healthy Christmas!