The Sydney Running Festival is under a week away, and people are buzzing!
It's full on taper week. All you want to do is go for a run. You cannot remember the last time you had this much energy.
My final tips leading into race day?
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. In the days leading up, it is imperative to ensure adequate fluid is consumed, particularly those who are doing the marathon. Water is fantastic. Sports drinks can also be useful for hydrating and carb loading simultaneously.
2. Do what you practiced. Don't do something new. For example, f you didn't practice with caffeine in at least one training run, don't use it.
3. Lay out all your stuff the night before, so there is no searching in the morning. Sleep is precious.
4. You may be pretty wired Saturday night (excitement/nerves). Get an early one on Friday. As above, sleep is precious.
5. Enjoy your run! So far it is looking like it will be a gorgeous day, and Sydney has some stunning views - take it all in!
Personally, I am getting so excited to see how my clients and friends go in their respective races - I am already so proud of the effort everyone has put in. Cannot wait to see the results!!
Chloe McLeod is a dietitian at BJC Health.
This blog focuses on diet & nutrition generally and diet & nutrition in relation to the treatment of arthritis and arthritis-related diseases. Contact us if you’d like our help in managing diet-related health issues.